BER Domestic Certification

What is a Domestic BER?

A BER or Building Energy Rating is an estimation of both the energy consumption and the carbon emitted from the usage of the property per m2 per year. The BER is graded on a colour coded scale from ‘A1’ down to ‘G’ with ‘A1’ being the most efficient. An example of the scale is shown below.

When is a domestic BER required?

A domestic BER is required before any residential property is advertised for sale or rent. In the event of ownership being transferred without advertisement a BER is still required to transfer ownership, be it leasehold or freehold. A domestic BER may also be required for anyone looking to avail of the better energy homes scheme grant from SEAI.

What is involved in getting a BER?

The process of getting a BER is a two-step process:

  1. The Survey – One of our assessors will have to call out to your property to carry out the survey. This is a straight forward building survey which involves some checks outside the property followed by a room by room survey. There will have to be access to all rooms including access to the boiler if it is in a boiler-house. Any information regarding any alterations made to the building fabric such as wall insulation should be made available to the assessor. If building plans are easily available, they should also be shown to the assessor. The survey is usually completed within one hour.
  2. Calculation – The information is then all processed & calculated in our office & the client will be provided with the BER certificate & advisory report along with advice on what steps are necessary to improve it.


To book a Domestic BER Consultation, please fill out the CONTACT FORM below.

What is Part L Compliance?

A Building Energy Rating on a new house is vastly different than an existing house BER & requires an assessor with a very high degree of knowledge to competently complete one.

When someone is planning on building a new house or a development, a part L compliance report is required at the early stages, ideally before it goes out to tender. A Provisional BER Cert must be done along with a part L compliance report.

The part L Compliance report covers approximately 70 different entries, but the main areas covered are:

  • Insulation
  • Windows
  • Heating system & Controls
  • Hot Water System
  • Ventilation System

This is necessary to get done at the earliest possible stage to ensure that the homeowner is aware of the costs involved with building a house to current building regulations. When the house is completed a final BER certificate must be carried out on the property. If the property is not constructed in accordance with the guidelines set out in the Part L compliance report, the final BER will result in a fail & the assigned certifier will be unable to sign off on the house, which could result in no final payment of the mortgage. The homeowner or developer will have to rectify the works before the house can be signed off which will be much more expensive at this stage. If the Assessor who carries out the initial Part L compliance report is not fully competent or experienced, it can result in the same situation. All assessors at Nationwide Energy Consultants are experienced Building Surveyors.

The general procedure here at Nationwide Energy Consultants is to firstly discuss with the homeowner or developer some of the potential options & narrow it down to two. We then require the CAD file of the drawings, where the two options are calculated. We then once again discuss with the homeowner the options to select the best option to suit their needs/budget & the report is sent through. Once the development is completed, we will then carry out the survey & get all the necessary documents signed for the final BER.


To book a Part L Consultation, please fill out the CONTACT FORM below.